Monday, March 14, 2011

Getting serious now

Today I really got stuck into the Heron - took the plywood decking off most of the boat. One half of the front was sanded and I don't want to take those bit of ply off as they're in good shape and I like the look of the nails in the ply. When I replace the ply I want to use the bronze nails again so it matches the front. I'm pretty sure nails aren't needed with new epoxy's and it will create more work, but that's the look I want.

Very happy with my sanding
Taking off this ply made it easy to sand inside and remove any silicone (fingers crossed)!
Port side removed
Starboard side - see the nail marks I was talking about

2 comments:

  1. Great to see a Heron being rebuilt! As chance would have it, I've just finished rebuilding a Heron (6192) and I was going to bid on this on ebay for spares/the fun of it! I'm pretty sure it's the same one.

    I'm glad you got it. Sentimental value alone is worth it.

    I'm building a Hartley ts16 now, the blog is at www.littlecatember.blogspot.com if you wanna see!

    If you're needing to see a heron in the flesh for anything, you're welcome to peek at mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a register of the numbers? My sail says 5680...I'm guessing that was the original number. How can I find out the production year?

    ReplyDelete